the latest incarnation of america's best-selling hybrid vehicle now offers all-wheel drive — so it comes as little surprise that our first drive review of the 2019 toyota prius had enough traction to make its way to the top spot among our 10 most popular news stories of the week. meanwhile, a fellow toyota and top-selling suv also saw success, with our expert review of the 2019 toyota rav4 rising to no. 2 on this week's list.
for his first drive of the prius awd-e, reviewer mike hanley headed up to wisconsin for some would-be winter driving, but in the absence of actual snowfall, the automaker had to make its own for the sake of testing. and while hanley lauded the prius' winter-weather performance with power channeled to all four wheels, he noted that the 6-mpg mileage penalty the awd-e will cost you could justify the simple addition of winter tires to a front-wheel-drive prius.
"if what attracted you to the prius in the first place is the 56-mpg combined rating of the l eco model, winter tires give you extra traction during winter months without having to pay the awd-e's gas mileage penalty year-round," he said.
meanwhile, toyota scored another top performer on our weekly top 10 in the 2019 rav4. reviewer jennifer geiger, who's been no particular fan of the best-selling small suv, even changed her tune to some degree for the 2019 model.
"when i've been asked to recommend a compact suv, the toyota rav4 has never been on my list, but the 2019 version — especially in hybrid trim — has earned itself a spot for those with the budget to accommodate it," geiger concluded in her review.
the top 10 was full of best-sellers this week, with sister site pickuptruck.com's report on the 2019 ford ranger's mileage ratings generating enough interest to land at no. 4. meanwhile, at no. 6, we shared four things we like and two things we don't like about the 2019 nissan altima.
here are the top 10 stories readers couldn't get enough of in the past week:
1. 2019 toyota prius first drive: staggering efficiency, now with all-wheel drive
2. 2019 toyota rav4 review: delivers more, costs more
3. which 2019 honda cr-v should i buy: lx, ex, ex-l or touring?
4. 2019 ford ranger tops what's new this week on pickuptrucks.com
5. 2018 vw atlas: what we spent and mileage we got in a year of ownership
6. 2019 nissan altima: 4 things we like, 2 we don't
7. 2019 cadillac xt4 video: little not to like in this little suv
8. latest certified pre-owned incentives by automaker
9. ecoboost gets ego boost: ford claims bragging rights for ranger mpg
10. 2019 honda pilot, ridgeline: recall alert
's editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. in line with 's long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don't accept gifts or free trips from automakers. the editorial department is independent of 's advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.