the mid-size pickup truck marketplace long has been dominated by the toyota tacoma, but after seven model years off, ford is returning to the class with a new ranger. if that sounds intriguing to you, you're not alone: readers were all over our ranger/tacoma head-to-head coverage this week, making it the most popular news story we published.
conducted by our colleagues at pickuptrucks.com, the duel between the 2019 ranger lariat supercrew 4x4 and the 2018 tacoma trd sport double cab 4x4 gives a great deal of insight into how these pickups match up. the test involved driving through the streets of los angeles, over the canyons and out into the desert to find out who won.
if you want to know more, check the link below — and stick around for the rest of our top stories, where the tacoma and ranger also figure separately in two additional stories. meanwhile, our primer on gm's employee discount for everyone program — giving car shoppers the rundown on which 2018 and 2019 chevrolet models are eligible, how much they can save and whether the discount applies to other gm brands — was our no. 2 most popular article.
here are the top stories readers couldn't get enough of in the past week:
2. chevrolet employee discounts for everyone explained
3. changes to the 2019 toyota tacoma top what's new this week on pickuptrucks.com
4. top 5 reviews and videos of the week: ford ranger revs up
5. subaru's most stimulating sti coming to detroit
6. what does it cost to fill up a 2019 honda civic?
7. 2017-2018 honda clarity fuel cell: recall alert
8. 2018 san diego auto show: jeep gladiator tops 5 things you can't miss
's editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. in line with 's long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don't accept gifts or free trips from automakers. the editorial department is independent of 's advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.